- one potato per person plus one for the pot
- one egg per person
- one onion
- one slice of dry bread per person
- one clove of garlic per person
- one tablespoon paprika per person
- one tablespoon oregeno per person
- one cup grated cheese
- salt, pepper, and oil to taste
- Optional: bacon pieces (use less salt if using bacon)
- Optional: sausage pieces or pepperoni slices
- Optional: garnish with salsa
- Optional: garnish with lemon juice and fresh cilantro leaves
Heat oil* in a frying pan. While it is warming,
mince the garlic and chop the onion then add to the oil. Cook until the
onion just turns translucent.
Cube the potatoes and add to the frying pan, cooking until they are no
longer crunchy. Cover to cook the potatoes faster.
Add the paprika, oregeno, and salt while the potatoes are cooking. Stir
Tear the bread into small pieces and add to the potatoes when they are
Beat the eggs and then add to the frying pan. Stir frequently while the
eggs are cooking.
After the bread is soaked with the egg, add the cheese and continue to
When the egg is cooked, add more salt and pepper.
* Note on amount of oil to use: for a large frying
pan, the range is between 2 and 10 tablespoons. The end result will
either be dry and crispy with the minimum oil or moist and tender with
more oil. Varying the amount of egg and cheese will also affect the
consistency of the final product.